View Cart | (0) item(s) | Total cost:: $0

The Bearded Baron of Bourbon Review: Scissortail Bourbon

Posted October 09, 2014
Submitted by
beardedbaronofbourbon, scissortailbourbon, 4andahalfbeards

Bearded Baron Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Scissortail BourbonScissortail Bourbon. Distilled right here in the Sooner state, this bourbon is a refreshing surprise. Although it is a young beverage (aged for months, not years) it is no brash upstart. It turns out the state’s erratic climate is good for aging the spirit, albeit hard on the oak casks/barrels. 

The bottle is the standard-fair basic clear glass, but the label design is a treat. Aged parchment background with vivid black on light blue script and silhouette of a scissortail in flight. Classy. 

The bourbon is light- both in color and fragrance. More agave in color than caramel. On the nose there is a very light honey, maple and spice. It doesn't scream, it whispers "Take a wee sip of the nectar!"

The first drink was left to sit on my tongue. It was light, bright, and right. It honestly drinks similarly to a good Irish whiskey. The flavors present to the palate as if they were all freshly prepared on an oak carving board with a slight char. A sweet agave, corn, honeysuckle, and roasted nut mixture. Warm enough to enjoy, but it's not going to put off less experienced whiskey drinkers. 

Final verdict? A very nice surprise! I would like a little more bite, but this is the best young whiskey I've sampled. I have read there are going to be more aged versions in the future. If this is any indication of what is to come, I can't wait!

comments powered by Disqus

Search

Follow Us

Popular Posts